Tamper-evident bags and other types of tamper-evident packaging are used in a variety of industries, from food and beverage to forensics. These bags are designed to make it obvious if they’ve been opened or otherwise tampered with. In the food industry, this offers peace of mind to consumers because they can trust that the products they’re buying are safe and fresh.
At Universal Plastic, our tamper-evident and tamper-proof bags are available in an array of styles and sizes, with gauges of 1.5 mil to 3.0 mil. They meet the FDA and USDA requirements for use with food products, and they can be custom printed to suit your brand and product.
When choosing a tamper-evident bag for your application, there are several factors you’ll want to consider. Does it need to be leak-proof? Is it transporting hazardous materials? Do you need to be able to see inside or not? Let’s take a closer look:
Tamper-evident bags are common in several industries:
- Food Packaging: This is the application people are generally most familiar with, because you see it every time you go to the grocery store. You know your granola, candy, cheese, and many other products are fresh and haven’t been altered after they hit the shelves because they’re secure in a tamper-evident bag.
- Medical and Pharmaceutical: The tamper-proof bags used in these industries must comply with strict regulations, as they’re often used to transport drugs and other supplies without risk of contamination, alteration, or unauthorized access.
- Airports: Tamper-evident bags are commonly used for transporting duty-free items.
- Law Enforcement: Evidence can be placed in a security tamper-evident bag to ensure it gets back to the station or to a lab without contamination or evidence tampering.
- Financial Institutions: Placing money in tamper-evident deposit bags ensures it can be transported without the risk of someone taking the cash or altering the amount on a check.
These bags are available in many different options to suit the applications listed above, among others:
- Leak-Proof Bags: Commonly used for transporting liquids, especially hazardous materials in pharmaceutical and medical facilities.
- Patient Belonging Bags: Typically designed with a handle, these bags protect a patient’s wallet, keys, and other belongings after they’ve been admitted to the hospital or emergency room.
- Security Bags: Law enforcement agencies use these at crime scenes to help them securely process evidence.
- Transport Bags: With an integrated perforation, they’re easy to open when the time comes, but the tamper-evident seal is secured with strong adhesives so it’s clear if the bag has been opened. The medical and pharmaceutical industries rely on these to transport drugs between locations. Customized printing and labeling identify the contents of the bag.
- Adhesive Closure Bags: With two-wall construction for containing adhesives, a perforation makes it both easy to access and easy to identify if it’s been opened.
- Specimen Bags: Typically printed with a removable biohazard symbol and other labels and messages depending on the specimen it’s intended to hold, these bags have three-wall construction that includes an outer pouch for paperwork.
- Bottom Load Pouches: These are a popular packaging choice for meat, snacks, nuts, dried fruit, and more.
- Wine Bags: In some states, open bottles of wine can be carried in the car if they’re contained in tamper-evident wine bags.
- Pharmacy Bags: Strong and durable, these bags are also opaque to protect patient privacy.
With more than 20 years of experience and a state-of-the-art facility, Universal Plastic is your partner for all your tamper-evident bag needs. We offer a broad range of products and custom solutions to ensure you have bags in the right size and color and with graphics that suit your unique application.
Our team has extensive knowledge on the specific bag requirements in each industry, and we can help you choose the option that’s right for you. Contact us to learn more about tamper-evident bags or request a quote today.